Saturday, March 27, 2010

Chili for my Veggie Peeps


I made some chili con carne a few weeks ago when it was still a bit chilly (bad pun intended...lol). I hear it's way cold back east today...so here's something to warm you. I was chatting with my favorite bisexual vegetarian insomiac late last night and she inspired this recipe post (thanks girl!)

Ingredients

1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

4 cups reduced sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock for the vegetarian purists)

1 (15 oz) can black beans (drain and rinse thorougly all cans of beans)

1 (15 oz) can white (cannllini) beans

1 (15 oz) can kidney beans (I like the dark red, but you can use the light red)

1 cup frozen corn (some people would use lima beans - I hate them, so I substitute with the corn)

1 red onion chopped (I use red because that's always in my kitchen, you can use a spanish onion)

1 orange bell pepper chopped (you can use green bell, I just don't like the strong flavor)

4 cloves garlic minced (I get tiny cloves in my grocery store - if you get big ones then only 2)

1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeno (I omit this as my house doesn't like a lot of heat)

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon coriander

1 -2 teaspoons hot sauce

1/3 cup of cous cous

1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

1/3 chopped fresh cilantro

S&P to taste

Directions

My sister bought me this fab slow cooker...so I'm using it today (thanks Lala). Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker except for the cous cous, cilantro, cheese and S&P. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 hours. If you don't have THAT much time, well then cook it on the high setting for 3 hours.


5 - 10 minutes before it's done (depending on the temp you set the slow cooker) add the cous cous. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top each bowl with cheese and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment