Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Road Trip Tuna Salad




This dish has traveled with me and my friends to Palm Springs and Lake Tahoe. I plan on taking it with me to many more destinations over time. This is one of those small comforts that brings smiles to my friends faces. That is what brings me joy...those smiles.

Dressing:

1/2 cup dijon mustard
4 TBS apple cidar vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 TBS chopped fresh tarragon
4 TBS honey
6 TBS sour cream

The Solid Stuff:

4 (6 oz) cans of tuna
1/2 lb tricolor fusilli cooked to package directions
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup rough chopped bean sprouts
1 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup pan roasted almonds (in a small pan heat them on high heat just for a few minutes...soon as you start to smell them take them off the heat)

Thoroughly whisk together all wet ingedients in a large bowl. Then add the Tuna and the remaining ingredients.

I'll see about posting a picture of it when it's done. For today I am making a variation of this. Tuna Melt not made for a Road Trip: Substituting the pasta with 2 additional cans of Tuna (pasta on bread doesn't sound good to me). Putting the tuna atop ciabbata bread...put a little butter on the bread first. Top the Tuna with a few slices of American cheese. Preheat oven to 350 and cook for about 10 minutes, then turn on the broiler at high for 2 minutes - just until cheese is melty and bubbling.

2 comments:

  1. This is my fav!!!!!!!! He packs this great little dish around everywhere in a cooler...and it is soooo good! i think we need to name her...Contessa perhaps? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's kinda already take...Ina Garten is the Barefoot Contessa....

    ReplyDelete